Friday, August 15, 2008

For you Sis!

When I was young, I always used to sulk come this day..I felt sad and gloomy and then my mom used to come to cheer me up and tie me a rakhi! Yes I'm talking about Rakshabandhan. This is the festival that celebrates the relationship between brothers and sisters wherein the sister ties a rakhi on the wrist of the brother and brother gives a gift to her sister.

I don't have a sister thats why I felt sad when I was a child. I guess I missed out on one beautiful relationship-the sisterly love and the catty fights and all those things you know..But don't get confused about my mom tying me a rakhi-she's an all-rounder-she's my mom-my friend-my sister-she's all in one!

During the primary school-upto the 5th or 6th grade, I was sort of a favorite candidate to tie a rakhi to and my entire right hand used to be filled up upto the elbow..But then the count stated to dwindle each year so rapidly that I was left with only 2 Rakhis when I reached my 10th grade-Looking back I know my classmates we getting mature faster than me!

Rakhi used to be a kind of weapon for the girls-trust me-to break the hearts of those who had a crush on them. They'll wait an entire year for this day to come only to find that the guy has not turned up to the school! Nevermind; she'll bring the rakhi next day too and the poor fellow will have no option left other than run away, or stay locked in the loo!

During the college time I remember I came up with an idea to spice up the valentine day celebrations. In a typical rose day celebration, if a boy likes a girl then he can give a rose(goes both ways)-if she likes him then she accepts or she dumps-but whats the fun in that!! To spice it up, in our plan; if a girl likes the guy then she accepts and if she doesn't, well then-she ties a rakhi to him! I named it "Rose day Rakhi day"! Now hows that!! I thought it was a fantastic idea, but it came as no surprise to me that my plan couldn't get the approval from the committee!! :P

This festival still fills me up with joy and all the childhood memories come rushing to my mind when this day arrives. Today is that day and here's wishing everyone a very Happy Rakhshabandhan!

Peace!

2 comments:

Mumbai Guy said...

Good topic for the post. You have no sister and I have 4. Yupe, you got it right, I have 4 sibling sisters and 1 more sister(thru rakhi) in foriegn land.

Just like you, my hand was full of rakhi's and there was a competition on who has hands full first. Good old days. Sisters still do courier me rakhis every year, hopefully in few years I should be in India in person to celebrate the rakhi festival.

What amazes me is how Indian festivals have deep rooted meanings and the way it relates to family and life.

p.s. good to see you again mayur. Hope you are doing good.

Mayur said...

Hey thnx MG :)

Hope ur Rakhi day went fabulous!